Sunday, September 8, 2013

Eyes Wide Open (Morning Story #04)

BLINDED behind the lens...

I am blind as a bat. Not from childhood though. I lost sight of my world at the age of 12 after a freak accident – the sequence of events I don’t fancy disclosing. But, I do have vague impressions of the colours each morning flaunts ever so beautifully. It took me a while to sink in this harsh reality of experiencing perpetual total darkness, but eventually I did accept it. And gradually, I even started respecting it.

Bob Marley once said, “Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.” I don’t enjoy the latter. A month back, under some fiery bolts of lightning and boisterous thundershowers, I turned 54. For some very odd reason, as there may be, rainfall gives me the kick. But, it’s not just the rainfall under which I feel the spring in my step. The cool breeze and the tranquility of the early mornings make me feel I’m 12 all over again. I don’t sleep for more than 7 hours a day, though it doesn’t make much of a difference, really. I always await the mornings. I feel the rays of the sun that reach my eyelids from millions of miles away come with a message. They keep convincing me of the fact that though I cannot see at all, somewhere deep within myself, I have a vision, which no one else does on the planet. And it’s not supernatural as such, but then again, it doesn’t need to be. A lot of people with their eyes wide open fail to see what the world has to offer. And I’m sure it has to offer a-plenty.

My father was an avid photographer. When he was alive he used to click two distinct times of the day – sunrise and sunset. I wasn't interested in photography as such, but I used to love travelling with him on his motorbike in the twilight mornings. Some of his morning photographs still hog a lion’s share in my casket of sweet memories. I never lost sight of them, and never will; probably because they remind me of the eternal beauty sunrises bring with them.

My uncle, who is aged 79 now, loves to read newspapers really loudly. The reason behind being, he cannot hear clearly. I’m a firm believer that people talk loudly when they can’t hear clearly. So, I’m sure every morning my neighbours don’t switch on the radio, if that’s the medium from which they fetch their morning news. They get them from us. But, the news mu uncle reads every morning is never too convincing. All I get to hear is the number of deaths that have occurred due to some unfortunate events and ruthless violence, injustice happening all over, embezzlement, suicides, impending wars and imminent clashes of the races. And it makes me wonder, how can someone kill a person and see that person die. How can someone see a person dying and not lend a hand to save him. How can anyone with his or her eyes wide open not see what’s coming. How can a person cheat someone else and shamelessly walk free with no guilt in the eyes. All of this baffles me. Sometimes, I just walk away from my uncle’s morning news-reading. Sometimes, I feel really lucky for being blind. At least, I don’t get t see people die, beg and weep every day. What an awful sight that would be to witness. We, as humans have to spread the light on others, in our own way. But today, people pull the daylight out of others. More than the darkness that refuses to leave my sight, it’s the people with these dark souls that scare me the most.

As I said, the world has a lot to offer. The question is what we want to see. The climax of each day depends on how you start it. Just like in life, it ends the way we let it start and carry on. If you start by fooling someone, at the end of the day, in some corner of your heart, you feel you have fooled yourself. If you start by hitting someone, you feel the pain when you get old. If you start by giving up, you are already a failure; you wouldn't need to wait till dusk. The things I cannot see are the things I give immense respect to. And I don’t see a lot of stuff, you know. I keep dreaming of the change of colours every morning would be emanating with flair, of the shine on the surface of the ocean, of the bouncy nature every bird would be exhibiting before it flies off for an eventful day, of the mist that must be spreading on lush green outfields and silent lakes, of people joining their hands to recite the morning prayer, of the youth lending a hand to help the old, and a lot other beautiful things. Almost every morning I roll my visionary eyes on these hopeful, phenomenal events, which for anyone else with incredible eyesight may sound regular.

A few days after i was declared blind by the doctors, my father spoke to me, probably with tears in his eyes, and told me that each morning throws a new light on everyone, different than the previous day. All we have to do is stand in its path; respect it, and be grateful to God for letting us stand in its path. From that very day, my eyes of total darkness began to act like the viewfinder of a camera my father used to carry, through which he could see and capture those gorgeous, shiny mornings.

No comments: